I recently read an article by Information Week (Esther Shein July 16, 2010 11:12 AM) entitled “Engineers Use Social Media for Business”.
Really I wondered? Engineers? Who are these engineers, in what industry do they come from, what country, what generation?
Reading the article fully a few of those answers were revealed, and more…
Here are the crib notes of what I found interesting from this article:
- May 2010 survey of 1,153 mobility engineers (I am personally unfamiliar with this discipline title)
- The engineers work in aerospace, automotive, and commercial-vehicle industries
- 55% of respondents said they use social media sites for work purposes
- Greater than 50% are allowed to access SMS during work hours
- 84% of respondents say they use LINKedIN
- 59% use Facebook
- 30% use YouTube
- They proudly report that …”Age did not play a significant role in determining the popularity of one social media site over another, according to the survey findings, although mobility engineers who are 35 and under use YouTube more frequently — approximately 20% more than all other age groups”, adding… “In the 45-55 age group, LinkedIn was ranked the most popular.
Wait, did I blink and miss something? Seems to me age DID in fact play a role in what SMS the varied age groups of mobility engineers were chooing to use. If I am reading this right, this supports some of what I am seeing in distinct communication boundaries/bridges between the generations Boomer, X, and Millennial (Y) engineers. The preference of YouTube vs LinkedIn has me wondering about a couple of questions…
1) How is social media is being used for teaching and learning (i.e. are the <35 year old mobility engineers cruising Youtube for that purpose, or something else? Do they have a preference for visual learning?)
2)What about LinkedIn do GenX’ers find interesting and acceptable in the world of social media? What purpose is this mass and public communication vehicle serving for them?
I will continue to give these questions more thought… for now, they have me scratching my small and slowly developing Web 2.0 brain.
Cited article link: Engineers use social media Enjoy!